We have been busily working on learning the continents and oceans. The students are feeling confident and ready. There will be a quiz on Thursday, October 4th on the 7 continents and 4 oceans.
Thursday, September 13, 2018
Over the next few weeks your child will learn more about numbers and number concepts. This includes place value, representing numbers using words and models, and comparing and ordering numbers.
To reinforce the concepts, you and your child can work on some at-home activities such as these:
- Estimate numbers up to 10 000. For example, about how many pieces of cereal are in a cereal box? About how many people are in this room?
- Play a game with number cards or playing cards. Have your child flip over four cards, and then flip over four cards yourself. Both you and your child will then arrange your cards to create the greatest number possible. The player with the greater number keeps all the cards. Continue the game until one person has all the cards in the pack.
- Choose a number each day (up to 10 000). Have your child write the numbers after you say it, and identify the place value of each digit (i.e., thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones).
- Ask your child to look for places where they see numbers in the thousands.
- Challenge your child to make up a card game at home that involves numbers in the thousands (e.g., each card in the game could be worth 1000 points).
Posted by Miss Morrell at 6:47 PM
Posted by Miss Morrell at 12:58 PM
Monday, September 10, 2018
Now that we've been at school for a few days, students have begun settling into the routines of the Grade 4 classroom. Students are provided with basic school supplies including pencils, erasers, colours, scissors and glue. If your child would prefer to bring his/her own pencil case with personal supplies from home that is entirely fine!
Posted by Miss Morrell at 10:49 AM
Posted by Miss Morrell at 10:45 AM